Printed from: Monsoon Stone Edge User Forum
Topic URL: http://www.stoneedge.net/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6134
Printed on: 05/07/2024

Topic:

Topic author: ja_lbg
Subject: Error Sending Emails
Posted on: 01/07/2008 11:12:11 AM
Hi,
We use Stone Edge Order Manager 4.405. We have a peculiar problem. Some of our customer service reps get an "Email Retry Options" error every few days when sending emails through Stone Edge. The reason given: "One or more email parameters not set - can't send email! These parameters must be set: SMTPServer EmailDomain EmailFromAddress EmailFromNameEmail To: "
The error goes away once Stone Edge is restarted and the problem can't be recreated. The CS rep is able to send emails smoothly. But the error pops up again once in a while (once a week, 2-3 times each day, very random). We had Stone Edge Tech Support look into one of the problem PCs via GotoMyPC. Nothing unusual was diagnosed. All the setting were fine.
Has anyone else encountered this type of email error? Any input would be highly appreciated.

Thanks,
JA

Replies:

Reply author: Barney Stone
Replied on: 01/07/2008 12:17:27 PM
Do the reps see any other errors in the Order Manager prior to getting those email errors? Once you get an error, you should generally exit and re-start the Order Manager. If you don't do that, it could result in other errors such as the one you described.

Reply author: ja_lbg
Replied on: 01/07/2008 2:48:47 PM
Thanks for your attention, Barney. There are no prior errors. This is the sequence of the problem: a) rep is in Stone Edge (in "Send Email" dialog box) typing email to customer (no other errors in Stone Edge, everything functioning normally). b) When "Send" button is clicked, "Email Retry Options" dialog box pops up with the aforementioned error reason and three action buttons: 1)Retry, 2)Use Regular Email Program, and 3) Cancel Email Message. c) When we click "Cancel Email Message" and exit out of Stone Edge and restart the program, rep is able to send email without any trouble ... until some hours/days later when the error message resurfaces.

Replied on: 01/08/2008 3:33:47 PM
There is no way to diagnose that in the Forum. You will have to call us when the error message is on your screen so we can log into your computer and try to fix it.

Reply author: Dawn
Replied on: 03/26/2008 6:18:42 PM
We were also having intermittent problems sending our tracking number emails for several weeks. It wasn't reproducible, and Stone Edge tech support didn't help. I finally figured out it was due to changes at our ISP. I called our ISP tech support (AT&T DSL) and they were able to help. Tip: If you call ATT, be sure to ask for "Tier 2 support" at the beginning or you'll waste a lot of time! In case anyone else is having similar problem and uses ATT DSL, here's what we did to fix this.

Error message when sending mail was: "New email method error: unexpected server response."

First, we had to sign in to our our ATT/Yahoo mail account (which we never use normally) to add an email account. Use both the "Email From Address" and "Email From Name" exactly as entered in Stone Edge (Store Setup/Email tab) for the new account. This step is apparently a new requirement from ATT. If you don't do this, their outgoing servers won't recognize you as a valid sender.

And these are the settings we updated in Stone Edge (Store Setup/Email tab):
SMTP server: smtp.att.yahoo.com
SMTP port: 25
We also entered the SMTP Username and Password, but this may not be necessary depending on other settings. I don't think Stone Edge supports an SSL connection yet, but port 25 seems to work without it.

Replied on: 03/28/2008 11:51:52 AM
Dawn -

Thanks for the update. I'm sure that information will be helpful to some of our other users.

Reply author: CaseyW
Replied on: 04/01/2008 6:45:22 PM
Hey guys,

We are running into this issue (we think) with our yahoo/sbcglobal.net account. The new smtp connection that yahoo says to use now is 465, with encryption. I believe 25 is now causing issues with us sending e-mails. Does StoneEdge have any way of supporting sending encrypted e-mails using SSL??

Reply author: Mark Setzer
Replied on: 04/02/2008 10:17:38 AM
The changes to do so are still going into the External Stack and our beta release. TLS encryption will require sending through the External Stack, since OM's e-mail library ("order manager" method) doesn't support encrypting it.

Are you sure that SBC is not allowing you to use their servers on their network without encrypting traffic? That's a strange requirement. Sending through Yahoo's servers might require it, but your local ISP should be giving you an SMTP gateway that doesn't. I'd ask for clarification...

Reply author: primecell
Replied on: 04/03/2008 09:42:08 AM
We were having the same issue but were able to work it out with AT&T support (old SBC Global) by using the following SMTP server: smtpauth.sbcglobal.net This allowed us to keep the port settings at 25 and SSL shut off. It is working great now.

Reply author: Sean Frank
Replied on: 04/08/2009 03:06:37 AM
We are also running into this problem with Yahoo email servers (smtp.bizmail.yahoo.com).

We think the issue is Yahoo stated requirement that we sent on port 465 with SSL.

We can send emails still via port 25 with no SSL, however, our bulk sends more often than not these days are getting all sorts of errors messages like "server refused authentification".

I think you guys need to get cracking on the new stack controller release.

Reply author: jpaulsen
Replied on: 04/09/2009 11:43:13 AM
We have been having frequent email failures for the last three days. We use Yahoo email servers. My employee spent over an hour with stoneedge tech support and didn't get anywhere. I called Yahoo support and they can't send me to any other email server than the one I'm on, (smtp.bizmail.yahoo.com on Port 587) due to the encryption issue. Yahoo is getting calls from others on this issue. Yahoo says that they don't support the port 587 server much as it's their secondary server. Please prioritize getting a fix for this as we have seen this issue intermittently for a couple of years now and it is very disruptive to business to have email failures on all my order manager computers.

Enterprise 5.608

Thanks
Jon

Reply author: Sean Frank
Replied on: 04/09/2009 1:49:56 PM
Everyone - I have the fix...

Go to authsmtp.com and open an account. To test it out for you only costs $24 bucks. If you like it and is works you pay for your volume. In my case with about 30,000+ outbound emails a MONTH it will cost me $650 for a year's service.

Authsmtp gives you a new SMTP server without all PITA of yahoo. Yahoo and SEOM don't seem to understand that is problem is a show stopper for business and should be made an IMMEDIATE PRIORITY. Companies like to point the figure back and forth at each other saying the other needs to do something while we business owners are stuck ON HOLD (or waiting for a call back) on tech support lines.

To me this issue (and lack of response) is one more reason why we need to plan on leaving Yahoo.

Authsmtp got back to me in 5 minutes via email when I had a question.

One tip - for the SMTP setting the user ID and PW will be what authsmtp gives you - NOT the yahoo email address for the user name.

I plugged the authsmtp info into the StoneEdge setup wizard smtp settings and all worked from there. I sent 2,000 emails yesterday (1,000 of that a bulk send) and got NO error messages. With yahoo I kept getting "server refused authentication". I have a trouble ticket in with yahoo like everyone else. it is any wonder yahoo stock is about $10 a share? Everytime I call them the answer I get is usually "no" to a request or some reason why they can not get something done. End rant.

So check out authsmtp.. it is working great and $650 for a years service is cheap to me. they have lower levels if you are a smaller biz.

Reply author: beltoutlet
Replied on: 10/14/2009 1:59:47 PM
Sean,

Do you use the External Stack Controller to throttle back the flow of email, or can AuthSMTP handle SEOM emails in real time?

Monsoon Stone Edge User Forum : http://www.stoneedge.net/forum/

© Monsoon Commerce, Inc.

Close Window